2nd March 2021
Ôi Trời Ơi – Oy Vey! – Are you kidding me ! Last night’s class was chockablock with new, high-level vocabulary:
Ok, take it easy, let’s break it down. Firstly, you were not expected to learn or remember everything; I told you to … well, you tell me. Try to complete the sentences with the new words. If you need help, the vocabulary box follows the questions, while I’ll put the answers at the end of the blog.
1) I didn’t understand everything, but I got the ________
2) Light and sound travel in ___________
3) X-Rays and microwaves are a form of (type of) __________________
4) For me, trying to pronounce Vietnamese words is a real ____________
5) Can you buy twelve eggs ? Yeah, buy me ______________
6) I don’t understand the Zoom instruction video, there’s so much computer __________
7) One of y tá (nurse) Cam’s duties is to take a patient’s ________ , to measure their heartbeat.
8) They love each other dearly, but they don’t always see __________________
VOCABULARY: a dozen // gist // struggle // pulse // jargon // waves // eye to eye // electromagnetic radiation //
Despite the jargon, there were some useful, everyday phrases that you can start to use:
lack of ..
for the sake of …
actually quite …
away from …
there’s no chance of …
NOW … YOUR TURN – complete the sentences, then make your own examples (in pairs or teams).
A) I need a holiday, I have to get ________________ the city.
B) She thought the film would be tedious but is was ____________ interesting.
C) Unless you study harder, _______________ you passing the test.
D) People can be very unhealthy due to a _________ vitamins in their diet.
E) He always agrees with his wife _______________________ peace and quiet.
Finally, for extra practice:
i) I don’t phone the UK on my mobile because it’s ___________
ii) If my Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting, I will ______________________
iii) Things that can affect society and how people behave. For example, the original ‘Star Wars’ films were an incredible ____________________
1) gist 2) waves 3) electromagnetic radiation 4) struggle 5) a dozen 6) jargon 7) pulse 8 ) eye to eye
A) away from B) actually quite C) there’s no chance of D) lack of E) for the sake of
i) prohibitively expensive ii) lose my mind iii) sociological phenomenon