2nd July 2020
Subject + was / were + verb ing
I was reading a book
You were taking a rest
At the party, we were singing, playing music, eating, drinking, talking and laughing.
Something was happening in the past
When I came to class, teacher was playing music.
[The teacher was ALREADY playing]
Compare with Past Simple:
When I got to class, teacher played music
[Teacher started playing AFTER I arrived]
Something was happening in the past:
Last night, I was reading the news.
Something that happens all the time OR a long time ago:
They are always shouting at each other [happens all the time].
When he was young, he was always playing piano [a long time ago].
When I phoned my friends, they (play)———-Monopoly.
When I phoned my friends, they were playing Monopoly.
- Yesterday at six I (prepare)————–dinner.
- The kids (play)——in the garden when it suddenly began to rain.
- I (practice)———–the guitar when he came home.
- We (not / cycle)———all day.
- While Alan (work)——–in his room, his friends (swim) ——-in the pool.
- I tried to tell them the truth but they (not / listen )————-.
- What (you / do)———–yesterday?
- Most of the time we (sit)——–in the park.
- I (listen)———to the radio while my sister (watch)————-TV.
- When I arrived, they (play)————–cards.
- We (study)———English yesterday at 4:00 pm .