27th April 2021
Warm up – Here are some symbols of Viet Nam:
Can you think of symbols of the UK ?
Question: Why is Britain so big in Sai Gon ?
The 461.5 metres (1,514 ft) tall, 81-storey building is built on the western banks of the Saigon River.
The development comprises (has) hotel and conference rooms, luxury apartments, high-end shops, restaurants, bars, and a multi-story observation deck.
What is the building called ? // Where exactly is it ? //
What firm designed it and where are they from ?
How tall is it ? // What does the complex comprise of ?
Can you think of any tall buildings from history ?
Can you think of any amazing engineering works from history ?
Watch the video and collect the following information (answers at end of blog):
1) What year was Philadelphia City Hall built ?
2) Where is the Singer Building ?
3) How tall is the Metlife Tower ?
4) What year was the Chrysler Building built ?
5) How tall is the Empire State Building to the very top ?
6) What is the tallest building in Chicago called ?
7) What is the first building in the video NOT in the USA ? Where is it ?
8) How tall is Taipei 101 ? What plant does it look like ?
9) In 2010, what was the world’s tallest building ? Where is it ?
10) What will be the tallest building in the world ?
11) Work on the Jeddah Tower stopped in 2020. Can you think why ?
Interesting fact: the US architect Adrian Smith designed both the Burj Khalifa and the Jeddah Tower
However, it’s not all plain sailing. Sometimes things go wrong:
(suggest starting at number #48 at 1:20)
1) 1901 2) NYC 3) 213metres or 700 feet 4) 1930
5) 432 m or 1416 ft 6) Sears Tower (now Willis Tower)
7) Petronus Tower in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
8) 508m or 1667 ft. It resembles a bamboo plant
9) Burj Khalifa in Dubai 1
10) Jeddah Tower in Saudi Arabia 11) Work stopped due to COVID-19
A useful website, from April 4th 2021: https://constructionreviewonline.com/project-timelines/jeddah-tower-project-timeline-and-all-you-need-to-know/