27th April 2021
Warm up – Here are some symbols of Viet Nam:
Can you think of symbols of the UK ?
Question: Why is Britain so big in Sai Gon ?
Landmark 81 is a super-tall skyscraper in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, that was designed by the British firm (company) Atkins.
Landmark 81 is the tallest building in Vietnam, and the 14th tallest building in the world.
The 461.5 metres (1,514 ft) tall, 81-storey building is built on the western banks of the Saigon River.
The development comprises (has) hotel and conference rooms, luxury apartments, high-end shops, restaurants, bars, and a multi-story observation deck.
What is the building called ? // Where exactly is it ? //
What firm designed it and where are they from ?
How tall is it ? // What does the complex comprise of ?
Can you think of any tall buildings from history ?
Can you think of any amazing engineering works from history ?
Watch the video and collect the following information (answers at end of blog):
1) What year was Philadelphia City Hall built ?
2) Where is the Singer Building ?
3) How tall is the Metlife Tower ?
4) What year was the Chrysler Building built ?
5) How tall is the Empire State Building to the very top ?
6) What is the tallest building in Chicago called ?
7) What is the first building in the video NOT in the USA ? Where is it ?
8) How tall is Taipei 101 ? What plant does it look like ?
9) In 2010, what was the world’s tallest building ? Where is it ?
10) What will be the tallest building in the world ?
11) Work on the Jeddah Tower stopped in 2020. Can you think why ?
Interesting fact: the US architect Adrian Smith designed both the Burj Khalifa and the Jeddah Tower
However, it’s not all plain sailing. Sometimes things go wrong:
(suggest starting at number #48 at 1:20)
1) 1901 2) NYC 3) 213metres or 700 feet 4) 1930
5) 432 m or 1416 ft 6) Sears Tower (now Willis Tower)
7) Petronus Tower in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
8) 508m or 1667 ft. It resembles a bamboo plant
9) Burj Khalifa in Dubai 1
10) Jeddah Tower in Saudi Arabia 11) Work stopped due to COVID-19
A useful website, from April 4th 2021: https://constructionreviewonline.com/project-timelines/jeddah-tower-project-timeline-and-all-you-need-to-know/
One thought on “Young Learners, Level 6: Engineering projects”